Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Blogs in the Classroom

I chose to read Keller Leathers' EDM 310 blog. I had quite a few classes with Keller this semester and have gotten to know her pretty well. We always get on facebook and help each other with tough homework assignments. I have come to find that Keller and I have much more in common than I would have ever imagined. One characteristic that Keller and I share is that before this course, we had never even heard of blogging. I unknowing kept up a blog in high school on the website Xanga. I did not see the purpose for writing about myself, so I soon deleted the account.

I believe that blogging can be a valuable teaching tool in the classroom. Not only do blogs allow students to become more familiar with new technology, but blogging also help students develop their writing skills. Blogging gives students to opportunity to express their ideas in writing to their classmates as well as other classrooms around the world. With a little networking on the teacher's end, pen pals could be arranged and lifelong friendships could possibly be developed.

On the other hand, blogging may not be the best technological resource for teachers. Blogging requires the availability of a computer with internet access and it is very likely that not every student will have this available. Time in the school computer lab could be scheduled, but the administration may not approve of academic learning time being "wasted" on internet blogging. Also, the issue of internet safety is a factor. School networks have safeguards to protect the students, but if a student does blogging outside of the classroom, there is no guarantee that the same safeguards will be available. For some classrooms, blogging is simply not an option.

Personally, I think that blogging can be a fun and educational experience for students. I feel that teachers can find many creative ways to positively incorporate blogging into the curriculum. However, I think that blogging is not the best option for younger children. Since I will be teaching students in grades K-6, I don't see myself using blogs at this time. I will not completely rule out the possibility, but it would take much more research to ensure that this form of technology is the best thing for my future students. Overall, I think blogging is fun and can open many doors for students of a more mature age group.